- Ph.D., Cornell University, 1964;
- B.S., California Institute of Technology, 1961.
- Miers Busch Professor, Department of Statistics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1994-present;
- Professor, Department of Mathematics, Cornell University, 1978-94;
- Professor, Department of Mathematics, Rutgers University, 1972-78;
- Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, Cornell University, 1966-72;
- Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, University of California at Berkeley, 1965-66.
Honors, Fellowships, and Grants
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Member, National Academy of Sciences;
- Fellow of the American Statistical Association (A.S.A);
- Fellow of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (I.M.S.).
- The Provost's Award for Distinguished Ph.D. Teaching and Mentoring, University of Pennsylvania, 2011;
- C.R. and B. Rao Prize, 2007;
- Wilks Award of the American Statistical Association, 2002;
- Doctor of Science (Honorary), Purdue University, 1993;
- Lady Davis Professorship (Hebrew Univ., Jerusalem, 1988);
- Wald Lecturer, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, August 1985;
- Sloane Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow (1969-71);
- NSF Summer research support (1965-);
- NAS-NRC, AFOSR Postdoctoral Fellow (1964-65);
- NSF Graduate Fellowship (1961-64).